Sunday, February 6, 2011

First Crocheted Teddy Bear


Book Review:

Here's a picture of the first crocheted stuffed animal I made using a pattern from Kyuuto!Japanese Crafts!:Amigurumi. It took me a good 10 hrs because I never knew how to crochet and the crocheting instructions were extremely confusing. Perhaps someone who already know how to crochet may not find it so intimidating. The author never shows you how to start a circular chain (I had to search Youtube to look up the magic ring method) and while the patterns themselves are easy to follow, there are certain special instructions that are not pointed out explicitly. I think projects will also take longer to complete than the average amigurumi patterns, which are generally for smaller objects. After completing the teddy bears, the sheep, and the butterly (one of the cutest and more complicated patterns), I couldn't get myself to do any more projects in this book as Ravelry has a ton of free patterns that are super kawaii. I think that the patterns aren't very diverse. Most dolls have a torso, 2 arms, & 2 legs, so don't think you can acquire a range of crocheting skills from this book if that's what you're looking for. Gosh, I feel like I'm sandbagging this book. On the flip side, it has an amazing section on how to assemble the amigurumi and for the price, which has gone down considerably since I purchased it, is very reasonable since there are a lot of patterns provided.

Anyhow, my little sister commented that the doll reminds her of Kon, from the anime Bleach (wikipedia link), so I personalized the bear with some triangles for the mane. Here it is:



No comments:

Post a Comment